Looking to gain LEED v4
Certification for Your Next Project?
Intertech Commercial Flooring can help you gain LEED points, save energy and build healthier work places. Intertech’s product and specification consultants will provide complimentary green flooring consultation to help your project earn LEED status.
What is LEED?
IThe United States Green Building Council (USGBC) developed the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system to provide a national standard for green building design that promotes buildings that are environmentally responsible and healthy places to live and work. The LEED rating system provides guidelines and ideas for improved construction and development. LEED is a voluntary, consensus-based national standard for developing high-performance, sustainable buildings.
CAN FLOORING CONTRIBUTE TO LEED CERTIFICATION?
While only buildings (not floors) can be LEED certified, flooring can contribute points towards earning LEED credits in three of the six LEED categories. As LEED-accredited flooring experts, we can recommend product choices that contribute to earning LEED points such as:
- Specifying green label or green label products, such as carpet and carpet backing made primarily from recycled content
- Clarify the common industry practice of “greenwashing”
- Specifying natural products, like linoleum, which is made entirely from natural, raw materials
- Using green-friendly installation techniques, such as green label adhesives that emit low and no VOC’s
- Recommending energy-efficient solutions like raised access flooring and under-floor HVAC systems, which reduce energy consumption
HOW IS LEED CHANGING?
In June 2015, LEED requirements begin changing as the USGBC launches LEED v4 and begins phasing out the current LEED 2009 requirements by October 2016. It is anticipated that this schedule will remain flexible because the new standards require manufacturers to publish Building Product Disclosures (BPD) which will list ALL the ingredients that is used to manufacture a product. Manufacturers have concerns about revealing these closely held ingredients as in many cases these ingredients provide competitive advantages and perhaps dis-advantages once revealed.
The NEW criteria will shift from the existing guidelines of measuring the amount of recycled content in products used in the project and how much of those products can be kept out of landfills to measuring what effect the product has on the planet and measuring what effect the product has on the health of people.
Other changes in LEED v4:
- 5/20 Rule – Refers to the requirement to use at least 20 products from 5 different manufacturers that voluntarily follow the Building Product Disclosure Program
- Manufacturer Inventory – a published, complete content inventory of all ingredients of a product
- Health Product Declaration (HPD) – A published full disclosure of known hazards (example: cancer causing ingredients)
- Cradle to Cradle – certified at v2 Basic or v3 Bronze level
- USGBC Approved Program – approved programs meeting the material ingredient reporting criteria
- Building Structure and Enclosure Materials – have been limited to a total of 30% of the value of compliant products that limits the concrete and steel portions of the contract, leaving the remaining 70% to come from the Finish Schedule
- Manufacturing Distance – Credit will be given to materials manufactured up to 100 miles of the project site. Lowered from LEED 2009 criteria of 500 miles
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD®) – is a verified document that reports environmental data of products based on life cycle assessment (LCA) and other relevant information and in accordance with the international standard ISO 14025 (Type III Environmental Declarations)
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) – is a technique for assessing the potential environmental aspects and potential aspects associated with a product (or service), by: compiling an inventory of relevant inputs and outputs, evaluating the potential environmental impacts associated with those inputs and outputs