Keeping the Dirt Off
Intertech Flooring’s Guide to Carpet Care
A consistent, well-planned maintenance or vitalization program prolongs carpet life and decreases environmental footprint and life cycle costs by removing soil and stains before carpet damage can occur.
On average, for every 1,000 employees, approximately 26 pounds of dirt is tracked into a typical commercial facility each month. Preventing soil from being tracked in is a lot easier, and less expensive, than removing it from carpet later.
Five Steps to Keep Dirt Outside
- Keep outside areas clean. Exterior maintenance helps minimize immediate sources of soil.
- Use soil barriers at all entrances. Mats, grates and removable elevator carpets help collect soil before it can be tracked throughout the building.
- Protect desk areas. Chair pads not only prevent casters from crushing carpet, but they also keep soil from grinding into flooring.
- Designate areas for eating, drinking and smoking. This minimizes the likelihood of food stains, spills, and burns to only those designated areas. Make beverage lids available in food service areas.
- Maintain HVAC system. To remove many airborne particles before they recirculate, regularly replace or clean air conditioner filters.
Tips for Routine Cleaning
- Regular vacuuming is critical to remove abrasive, damaging soil particles before they can scratch and permanently damage carpet fibers. Use only dual motor, top fill vacuums (these have one motor to run the vacuum, and one to run the brush).
- Vacuum high-traffic areas nightly. These include lobbies, elevator cabs and main corridors.
- Vacuum moderate and light traffic areas, such as secondary aisle ways, conference rooms and individual offices, weekly.
- Liquid spills are inevitable – but permanent stains don’t have to be. The key is quick, usually same-day treatment. Encourage employees to point out spills, accidents and other carpet problems immediately to maintenance staff.
Order from multiple vendors, all at once!
You’ve Got Better Things To Do...
Enjoy our one-stop approach to easy sample orders.